Roberto Luongo Named Captain Canuck - Colorado Avalanche Updates, News and Game Reviews at Avs Talk

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Roberto Luongo Named Captain Canuck

When I saw the headline, I thought it was a joke. When I saw the photo accompanying the story, I thought "Look at them laughing at their joke." But then I read the article and it didn't end with "Just kidding."

Yes, the Vancouver Canucks have apparently named Robert Luongo as their captain.

When was the last time a goaltender captained a team? I'm thinking it had to have been back in the 40's or 50's. I'd do the leg work to find this out but I don't care to.

This is just a bizarre move. I can understand that he is a team leader as is Martin Brodeur with New Jersey, as was Olaf Kolzig with Washington, and the list could go on and on.

But what's the point in announcing him as the captain? Maybe to add more pressure to being the Canucks goaltender?


Related Links

2 Comments:

Sully said...

I think Bill Durnan was the last goalie to actually have the "C" on his sweater. For the Canadians in the late '40s I think.

Shane Giroux said...

Yep, good call Sully. TSN mentioned it last night. I believe they said either '47 or '48.

Post a Comment