Canadiens Retire Patrick Roy's Number Tonight - Colorado Avalanche Updates, News and Game Reviews at Avs Talk

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Canadiens Retire Patrick Roy's Number Tonight

Patrick Roy raises the Stanley Cup
Tonight Patrick Roy joins possibly the greatest set of hockey legends when the Montreal Canadiens raise his jersey to the rafters at the Bell Centre.

As a former Canadiens fan - what can I say? I was born into a French-Canadien family - I'm looking forward to it. I'm not one of the talking heads who can't stop wondering whether he will cry or not tonight but I am curious on the reception he will receive.

We all know the less than graceful exit he made with the team but has enough time passesd to  heal the wounds?

I hope so because tonight is about Roy's legacy with the Habs and the positives have got to outweigh the negatives.

I'm anxiously awaiting Hockey Night in Canada tonight and it's been a while since I've said that.

As for the time leading up to the ceremony? Well I just bought my dad the Greatest Greatest Games in Montreal Canadiens History DVD so we might have to pop in the '86 Cup final game to see how many memories it stirs up. And then we'll finish off by watching him take out the Gretzky-led Kings in the '93 final. Nothing finer.

And I'll probably pontificate on what this jersey retirement will do the value of my two Patrick Roy rookie cards.

4 Comments:

Jaye said...

i made the mistake of going out for dinner with the lady friend tonite, and not waiting till the ceremony was over, luckily east side mario's had tv's..sadly without sound..but it was touching, much more id say then when the avs retired his number

Shane Giroux said...

Yep, it was a good ceremony if not drawn out a bit long IMHO.

But great to see Roy embraced again by Canadiens fans.

Hope east side mario's served you some good food!

Jaye said...

oh ESM always serves good stuff, nothing like the olive garden though, and the girly was kinda mad i was watching the tv and not listening to her, she didn't 'get it' :P

Shane Giroux said...

Tell me about it! I think I've worn mine down enough that she doesn't understand...but she accepts it :)

Post a Comment