2010 Playoffs Round 1 - Avalanche vs Sharks - Colorado Avalanche Updates, News and Game Reviews at Avs Talk

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

2010 Playoffs Round 1 - Avalanche vs Sharks

I'm still alive.

And so are the Avalanche. They have managed to limp into the playoffs on the heels of what is clearly a successful season in terms of a rebuild. Sure, a shot at a premiere left-winger on draft day would have been nice, but a streak of top-3 draft picks isn't the only recipe to success in this league. But you have to admit it can be a pretty good one.

As some long-time followers may recall, I'm originally from Ponteix, Saskatchewan, a small town about 10 minutes away from Aneroid, which is the home of Patrick Marleau. I know Patrick Marleau - though we're not buddies by any means - and my dad knows his dad quite well. The season Patrick had this year brought a smile to my face and yes, my celebration of Team Canada's Olympic Gold was boosted by Pat being on the team.

He is the true definition of a good person and a hard worker and he deserves all the success he's brought to himself.

The Sharks playoff disappointments hurt me on a personal level. I remember watching them bow out to the Edmonton freakin' Oilers in 2006 and how hollow I felt after that game. But that was against opponents other than the Colorado Avalanche.

When it comes to my team, should I not be able to push aside my personal feelings for my professional affiliation? Should I not dismiss the heartbreak of others so long as it leads to my emotional satisfaction? Why should I worry about sharing in grief over something I had no control over?

These are the issues I'm wrestling with heading in to tomorrow's game. I don't know which side of the coin I'll land on and I figure - like many other things - the coin will end up spinning on its side, never landing on heads or tails.

I'll cheer for Avalanche goals and wins, and begrudgingly feel happiness deep in the bowels of my emotions if Patrick - and by extension the Sharks - do well in the series.

But for now, fuck Patrick Marleau.

8 Comments:

R.Boulding said...

Nice!

Unknown said...

Oh Shane, it's going to be a quick series for you. Your team overachieved this year. That's something to be proud of. And should carry you through the rest of summer.

AvsHockeyPodcast said...

Great to have you back Shane. It's a no-lose series for you, and those are always fun. Just enjoy some playoff hockey.

Anonymous said...

Sharks in 4

AvsHockeyPodcast said...

^ Whatever troll.

Anonymous said...

GO SHARKS

Anonymous said...

BRONCOS SUCK

Anonymous said...

Sad day for you!

Post a Comment