On Bloggers and Brucie - Colorado Avalanche Updates, News and Game Reviews at Avs Talk

Thursday, September 16, 2010

On Bloggers and Brucie

Mr Dowbiggins,

Your ideas intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter. Please, continue, you were saying something about best intentions. What's the matter? Oh, you were finished! Well, allow me to retort.

Should bloggers - a contrarian, independent lot -...

You're an idiot.

That might be a problem as “blogger” has come to be synonymous for bending the rules on sourcing or taking liberties with research.

You're an idiot.

After all, if you sue a blogger for slander and win, what can you get? The person’s computer? The lack of risk and absence of assets as compensation makes pursuing a blogger moot.

You're an idiot.

...if a blogger wants a place in a press box or dressing room environment there should be something more tangible at stake - say, a bond of $10,000...

You're an idiot.

Taking shots at public figures from the grassy knoll and then sneaking away promotes a Dutch courage among many bloggers.

You're an idiot.

It’s a point of honour for most MSM to show up after a tough column and let the subject have his say in person.

You're an idiot.

The question is where will it go next in its rivalry with MSM.

You're an idiot.

I may expand on the reasons I believe you're an idiot for making these points, but I'm busy at my day job and expanding my assets just in case someone comes after me for slander or libel over what I say on this blog. I'd like to make it worth their while.

Is calling someone an idiot considered slander?

Thanks,
Shane

2 Comments:

Devon said...

I see bloggers and reporters are quite separate beasts. Bloggers are fans who really love what they're blogging about. Reporters a self absorbed people who don't know enough about something to be considered an expert (otherwise they wouldn't be reporters, they'd be successful business owners).

Shane Giroux said...

Late response, Devon. I think seeing you every day made me think I'd respond in person ;)

They're definitely separate but the line is getting blurred as journalists blog more and bloggers get deeper access.

They will never converge but they're closer in symmetry than either side likely thinks they are.

But yes, at the end of the day journalism is a job and blogging is a passion.

Not to disparage journalism as something that couldn't be a passion but I think everyone knows what I mean.

Post a Comment