Free Agent Frenzy - and My Dog - Await - Colorado Avalanche Updates, News and Game Reviews at Avs Talk

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Free Agent Frenzy - and My Dog - Await

We're less than 12 hours away from hockey Christmas and I can't help but be underwhelmed in anticipation. This year, it really feels like all that truly matters as far as splashes is where Ilya Kovalchuk will wind up.

Sure, Marty Turco and Evgeni Nabokov are out there and that's interesting, but they lack the panache of a name like Kovalchuk. I mean, is anybody really concerned about where Olli Jokinen might sign?

Our affable Adrian Dater has reported that the Avalanche will 100% not pursue Ilya as they continue to focus on building from within. And I'm ok with that.

At the same time, I agree with Jibs that the team is sorely lacking on the left wing. Peter Mueller looked great in the short time we spent with him and I've got a mad man crush on T.J. Galiardi, but that's not a left wing lineup that strikes fear into people.

Of course, you could look at the stats and determine that while Ilya scores a lot of goals, it all balances out in the end. Besides, the guy has only won one playoff game in his career so he must be pretty terrible.

But think of the wonders that a name like Kovalchuk could do for marketing this young squad. Or at least marketing potential. Whether the crew could pull it off or not is a whole different story. But you always pay for potential, right?

I'm happy to continue to let this squad build from within if that's what the organization chooses to do. And if by some stroke of magic it turns out that Kovalchuk joins the Avs, I'll be happy with that too.

Really, I've made this a win-win for myself and those are rare so you have to savor in them.

Tomorrow, when the frenzy opens, I will be headed down the ol' #7 and #4 and #13 highways as I weave my way back to my home town of Ponteix. See, I work for an amazing company and we've been given not only tomorrow - Canada Day - off but they tossed in Friday as well as a bonus.

And I figured what better time than a 4-day weekend to head back and visit my dog. I mean family. Family.

So while the first deals start to trickle in, I'll be cruising on the open roads. I should be arriving right around 3:00 ET which I presume is around the time Kovy signs. But of course, I'll have to play with the dog for a while first.

Hockey may be entertaining, but nothing beats man's best friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment